Sunday, September 22, 2024

Reconnoiter; Croydon Iowa

 


A Civil War Excursion in Corydon Iowa 2024
This weekend was the last time that the Corydon Civil War would occur. I'd never been to this event, so I was hoping to get in at least one day. The weather didn't cooperate, and bad storms came through on Saturday night. I decided to go out to Corydon on Sunday. But when I got there, everyone was gone. I'm sure the weather shut down the Sunday portion. Storms in southern Iowa have been pretty severe this year. So heading home is the best decision when the thunder boomers fire up. I looked around the Corydon Lake Park and after realizing that I had missed the movement of the main body of the Army of the Southwest. I headed off on my own, and promptly reconnoitered the area to locate supplies. I found a cemetery bordering the battleground area. I  dismmounted,  and walked into this hallowed ground, where I immediately located the headstones of two Union Soldiers that were buried there. I paid my respects to these soldiers, then being the only confederate soldier in the area, I swept the town and located a supply depot in near the center of this small hamlet at the Casey's General Store. I seized some supplies and began a patrol of the town square. It just so happens that this towns bank, the Ocobock Bank, located at the corner of Jackson street and Washington street was robbed by the famed confederate guerilla Jesse James and members of his gang in 1871;





Wyayne Co courtesy of



I was unable to read this tombstone

Grave of GB Jones, Tombstone states that he served in
the 2nd IA Cavalry



                                 The Civil War Memorial in the Center of the town square






The site of the Jesse James robbery, remember the war in Western Missouri


No comments:

Post a Comment

Dusty Trails Magazine Issue #1

  $15.00 (Includes shipping) NOW AVAILABLE ISSUE #1 DUSTY TRAILS MAGAZINE Payment Buy me a coffee Venmo Venmo In this issue,  Buffalo Bill ...